Friday, March 14, 2008

Me Run? You Gotta be Kidding

When I first came to my new family, I absolutely looked forward to our daily (sometimes 3 times) walks. At first I would walk with my friend Lucky and show him that even though my legs were 10 times smaller than his I could keep pace, no problem. But after a few walks my people stopped taking Lucky then me. Time passed and my friend Lucky has moved on (still not sure to where) and my people started taking me for walks.

Harrumph! I'm not interested in walking where they want me to. I want to go where I want and honestly, it's really quite offensive how they tug on that rope thing to make me go with them. Why can't they just let me roam free? I love to just plop my bottom down and give them my sweet pathetic look of "please don't make me walk any further." Then I give them a little whine. That makes them stop and notice me. But it doesn't get me out of the walk. They tug and tug and I pull back until we just stop all together.

Yesterday my big man guy, I'll call him Tex, took me on a walk. I new I was in for it when he took me out because he was dressed in shorts, a sports shirt and soccer shoes (I secretly love to nibble on those). Then he shocked me by putting a muzzle like thing over my nose and mouth. I heard him call it a "gentle leader" but there was nothing gentle about it; just irritating. On went the leash and he led out.

We went rounds and rounds on who should lead and where I would sit. I played in the grass a little but he insisted on walking. Finally I wore him out and we stopped at a big silver thingy (he called it a fire hydrant). I approached it and before I could give it a good sniff he pulled me back and started petting me. Tough decision, silver thingy that looked so good or Tex to lick (he was still salty tasting from his soccer practice with little man). I went for the satisfying lick and we played there on the corner for a while.

Then he stood to walk back but I surprised him. I took off on a full run and he had troubles keeping up. I kept looking back to make sure he hadn't fallen or given up because the last thing you need on a good run is someone to yank your chain, if you will. But he surprised me and eventually was side-by-side with me. The race was on and when we rounded the corner to our home it was a photo finish (well, no actual camera but I think I won).

It's nice to get out and when I'm in control it's even better.

Bark at ya later!

No comments: